Saturday, January 24, 2009

WR Shipley undergoes shoulder surgery

All-Big 12 wide receiver Jordan Shipley of Texas will miss spring practice after undergoing shoulder surgery Friday for injuries sustained during the 2008 season.

Shipley underwent surgery to his right shoulder, which was injured for much of the 2008 season. Despite the injury, Shipley produced 89 receptions and 1,060 receiving yards and led the Longhorns with 11 touchdown receptions.

"It's an injury I aggravated a couple of times during the year, but was able to play through," said Shipley, who was granted a sixth season of eligibility last month after missing his first two college seasons with injuries in 2004-05. "I worked hard to rehab it and kept playing. But now that I have time, I got it cleaned up and can get back to full strength for next season."

The Longhorns will begin spring practice on Feb. 27.

"I'm disappointed I won't be out there helping the young guys on the field this spring, but I'll be in all the meetings and at practice to help them out," Shipley said. "I'll work hard to stay in shape and get stronger than ever and should be back before summer workouts start."

Shipley was a third-team All-American as selected by The Associated Press and was a consensus All-Big 12 receiver in 2008, becoming the first player in Texas history to score a touchdown by reception, kickoff and punt return in the same season.

His 96-yard kickoff return for a touchdown against Oklahoma helped kick-start Texas' comeback in a 45-35 victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment