Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Justice, Gooden fire back at Radomski

David Justice and Dwight Gooden denied allegations made by former Mets clubhouse attendant Kirk Radomski during an exclusive interview with "Outside the Lines" on Sunday. Radomski told ESPN that Justice lied about knowing him and purchasing performance-enhancing drugs from him and said he twice took urine tests for Gooden in the 1990s.

In a phone interview with ESPN on Monday night, Justice denied having ever met Radomski or buying performance-enhancing drugs from him.

"He has never been in a car with me," Justice said. "He didn't take me to the airport. He's going to call me a liar and that's his information? That's a bald-faced lie."

Gooden, who has not responded to numerous ESPN requests for comment, told the New York Post that Radomski never took a urine test for him.

"That never happened," Gooden told the New York Post. "I don't know what he's talking about. I've made mistakes through the years, and I've admitted them, but that never happened. And the way the tests were administered, it couldn't have happened. I've done enough wrong on my own, I don't want to get blamed for something I didn't do."

In a telephone interview on Mike and Mike in the Morning on Tuesday, Justice said that in 2000, Brian McNamee told him he could give him HGH to help him recover from a groin injury. McNamee told him it could help him and that it wasn't steroids. He said McNamee brought HGH to his locker, but when he saw it was needles, he couldn't do it. If the HGH were in pill form, Justice said he probably would have taken the HGH that McNamee gave him.

Radomski was a key source for the 2007 Mitchell report on steroids in baseball. Justice was implicated in the report by Radomski, who said he sold Justice human growth hormone. Radomski told ESPN he drove Justice to the airport after the 2000 World Series and handed Justice a box containing steroids and HGH.

Justice said Radomski's allegations were not specific enough to be credible.

"Who was in the car with me?" Justice asked. "Give me some specifics. What was the day like? Why didn't [Radomski] put that in the Mitchell report?"

He also questioned why Radomski's specific allegations weren't in the Mitchell report.

"You don't remember taking me to the airport then? Now you wrote a book and remember?" Justice asked.

"He has nothing."

Justice said he hasn't taken legal action against Radomski because it wouldn't be worth the cost of defending himself.

"OK, so I go ahead and sue him, just so a couple of other people believe me? I'm not going to waste my money to hire lawyers," Justice said. "I'm not going to spend 200 or 300 grand and go flying all over this country and walking into courtrooms to appease a few people. It's not that serious to me anyway. I'm going to speak out and go back to living my life. I'm not going to let the guy just say anything. Suing him gives his book a little more power and keeps him in the news, which is what he wants. I'm not going to do that."

No comments:

Post a Comment